TRAMP corrupting files

From: Will Willis
Subject: TRAMP corrupting files
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 00:44:46 -0500

I'm using Tramp from my Mac to edit remote files. Twice in the last
few days I've experienced Tramp corrupting my files.

The first corruption happened mid way through a PHP file, looking like this:

 <option value="C"<?=$uresult['store_cluster']=="C"?"
selected":""?>>Cluster C</option>
                          <opv˷⌀ “䛆需戀܀㜀䜀阀

I think the characters might have been encoded above. What I see in
emacs is this

 <option value="C"<?=$uresult['store_cluster']=="C"?"
selected":""?>>Cluster C</option>
                          <opv\367^B#\340\240\220\223\306...

This corruption goes on for 35,202 characters (all on one line) then
the file ends.

The second time I had a file get corrupted, interestingly also in a
PHP file inside of a <select> option group, There were not funky
characters, just a few dozen lines of missing from my file.

It's really starting to scare me as I'm not sure I can trust this
method of remote file editing... My hosting company was able to assist
me once in recovering a backup... I'd have for this to happen again..

Is TRAMP known to do this sort of thing?

Are there Emacs alternatives to remote file editing (w/o corruption)?

Thanks.

Carbon Emacs  "22.2.1"
Tramp "2.0.57"