RE: Problems after upgrade

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Problems after upgrade
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:09:52 -0700

> Because off org-mode I needed to upgrade Emacs. I now installed
> 22.3.1. Before I had a 21 version. I do not know wich one.

Congratulations! Emacs 22 is far, far better than Emacs 21 (IMHO).

> I have now a few problems.
>
> I use flyspell.

I can't help with that. Hopefully, someone else can.

> Another change is that regions are not visible anymore. I put in
> my .emacs: (transient-mark-mode 1)
> and now it works again. Are the defaults changed?

In Emacs 21 transient-mark-mode is off by default also. Perhaps you had
something in your init file that turned it on? If you try `emacs -q
--no-site-file' in Emacs 21, I think you will see the same thing - no
transient-mark-mode, by default.

> The last problem is that previously the *GNU Emacs* buffer would be
> killed with any action I did. (Or C-l if I wanted it to be killed, but
> did not want to do something.) Now I need to kill the buffer manually.
> What is happening here.?

Sorry, I don't follow; perhaps someone else can help here. What is the *GNU
Emacs* buffer? If you start Emacs 22 with `emacs -Q', do you get a *GNU Emacs*
buffer?

Perhaps you could describe just what you do to reproduce the problem, starting
with `emacs -Q'. (We can't debug an init file we know nothing about.)