Re: Problem with <dead-acute>

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Problem with <dead-acute>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 11:57:24 +0200

Am 10.05.2009 um 09:09 schrieb Adolfo De Unanue:

finally someone advice put (require 'iso-transl) in the .emacs and that worked!

This also works for me, in Mac OS X.

But I have doubts about this... Whats happening?

A change ...

Someone else has this problem?

Yes, definitely.

Is this a problem of Ubuntu?

No, it looks to be general. Maybe it's explained somewhere in the documentation ...

It seems that nothing is loaded automatically because there is a choice betwee iso-transl and iso-acc. Both seem to provide an input method with C-x 8 or Alt-<accent> prefix, but what you and I are doing is just pressing a dead key (^, ´, `, ~, ¨) for the accent and then another key to "compose" the accented character. And there is no Alt key used in this! And according to documentation it seems be appropriate for 8-bit encodings, so it should be pretty useless in UTF-8. I reported this bug when it was introduced, but the bug seems to be classified as a feature ... Maybe it's just because the file is auto-loaded though pretty useless.

--
Greetings

  Pete                                           0
                                           %-/\_//
                                            (*)(*)