Re: bug in hi-lock?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: bug in hi-lock?
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 07:06:44 +0000

Hi, Dale!

bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org is the bug place, but no worries!

> I'm running GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)

> Running the following scenario caused hi-lock to automatically disable
> for me.
> emacs -Q
> M-x eval-expression
> (global-hi-lock-mode 1)
> ;; load a file at this point
> C-x w h
> ;; type in my regex, and it is successfully highlighted after picking
> my color

> ;; the second instantiation of the command causes issues
> C-x w   ;; results in "C-x w is undefined" in the message bar.

>  Has anyone else seen this? or am I doing something incorrectly?

Yes, this has happened to me sporadically, and it's irritated me
something rotten.  It's been one of these things which isn't quite bad
enough to warrant full-scale debugging, yet bad enough to irk.  ;-)

Trouble is, I can't now reproduce it now with your recipe (above).  ;-(

>From the way you describe it, I'm assuming that you can make the bug
happen repeatedly.  The only thing you haven't specified precisely above
is what file you're loading and what regexp you type.  (In general, a
brilliant bug report, by the way.)

Any chance you could supply the file and state the regexp?  Best would
be if you could include a small source file in your post, or give the
name of, say, an Emacs source file.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).