Re: two ways of adding a path to the list variable load-path. equivalent

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: two ways of adding a path to the list variable load-path. equivalent?
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:50:46 +0200

Nobuko Three <nbko3@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1.
> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/" load-path))
>
> 2.
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/")
>
> Are there any situation where one would prefer one over another?

As you probably know from the documentation of add-to-list, it will test
whether the directory is already included before adding it another time.

The downside of add-to-list is, adding the path will be slightly slower (and
increasingly slower with the size of the list).  The downside of consing
is that duplicates might slow down loading a bit.

I'd suggest add-to-list, but the difference is negligible.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher