Re: Encoding help

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Encoding help
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 19:58:39 +0200

Am 03.06.2009 um 19:35 schrieb B. T. Raven:

In the meanwhile I made a similar pdf with auctex and the .txt file produced by Adobe Reader is even more fragmented than the first one. I guess this is not surprising after the orginal .tex file goes through \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc} and \usepackage{babel}.

As long as you're using pdfTeX you can be sure that the PDF file has composed characters (input encoding plays no role, because it's just an *input* encoding). With a CMAP (character mapping, see 'texdoc -s cmap') and an 8 (or 7) bit font encoding (T1, T2A, T2B, T2C, T5, OT1, OT1tt, OT6, LGR, LAE, LFE) the composed characters can be mapped to the ready to use (pre-composed) Unicode characters.

The use of XeTeX might be another option (it's xdvipdfmx output driver inserts CMAPs into the PDF file). Or another PDF viewer, one that automatically reloads the updated PDF output file.

--
Greetings

  Pete

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.