Re: emacs 23 & Debian

From: Nurullah Akkaya
Subject: Re: emacs 23 & Debian
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 07:30:25 +0300

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:21:46 +0300, Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah@nakkaya.com> wrote:
> AFAIK for 23 your only change is to compile it your self but it is
> really easy.

ITYM `chance', but yes.  After struggling a bit with the
packaging of Debian, I decided it isn't worth the trouble and
compiled my own snapsnot of Emacs too.

> To build it from source first make sure you have the following
> packages installed
>
> build-essential
> xorg-dev
> libgtk2.0-dev
> libjpg-dev
> libgif-dev
> libtiff-dev
>
> then checkout latest code using
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
>
> this will create an emacs directory and put the sources in it.
>
> in order to build it go in to the directory and issue
>
> ./configure
> make bootstrap
> make
> make install
>
> that's it.

NOTE: `make' is not necessary after `make bootstrap', and `sudo
make install' may be more useful when not building with superuser
credentials.

Having said that, this is a *very* nice, short and useful
description of some build requirements for Emacs 23.X on Debian
GNU/Linux.  Is there isn't already a page about this, do you
think we can convince you to add it to the EmacsWiki?

While you are at it, it may also be useful to list dependencies
like `libm17n-dev' for multilingual text support, `libpng12-dev'
and `librsvg2-dev' for more image formats, and `libotf-dev' for
OpenType font support.

If you have a bit of time and you can add this to the Wiki, that
would be great.  If you are a bit busy but you would feel ok
about someone else copying the text you wrote and using it as a
basis for a page of the EmacsWiki, just email me and I will add
the page.

I have created a page

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsSnapshotAndDebian

and linked it from