Re: Emacs 22.3 ignores setq default-directory

From: Markus Heller
Subject: Re: Emacs 22.3 ignores setq default-directory
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:21:50 -0700

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Edward O'Connor<hober0@gmail.com> wrote:
>> (setq default-directory "h:")
>
> Does replacing that with
>
> (cd "h:")
>
> do the right thing?

No.  Message buffer out put is at the end of this message.

Again, the thing that puzzles me is that (setq default-directory "h:")
works in Emacs-22.1, but not in 22.3.  I guess I'll just use 22.3 and
change directory manually ...

And I should clarify one thing, based on what Eli wrote.  "h:" is
*not* my HOME, HOME is identified correctly as   c:/Documents and
Settings/mheller:.  "h:" is where all my data are stored, that's why I
would like it to be the place that C-x C-f takes me to.  Sorry if I
caused confusion ...

Thanks anyway!

Markus

PS:  Content of *messages* after replacing (setq default-directory
"h:") with (cd "h:")

("C:\\Program Files\\emacs-22.3\\bin\\emacs.exe")

An error has occurred while loading `c:/Documents and Settings/mheller/_emacs':

error: No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.