Re: highlight all lines with a certain prefix

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: highlight all lines with a certain prefix
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:17:10 +0200

Hi,

n179911 <n179911@gmail.com> writes:

> In emacs, is there a way which highlight lines with certain prefix in a file?
> For example I want to highlight all lines with '-' or '     -' (a lot
> of spaces followed by a '-' of a file?

first consider the regexp: ^[ ]*-
That is the beginning of a line (^) followed by a space (here rather
inelegantly represented as a group, [ ]) zero or more times (*),
followed by a dash (-).

Personally I'd use this regexp in occur which pops up a new buffer which
I can use to get an overview and to navigate to the matching lines:
M-x occur ABOVE_REGEXP RET

In your case it sounds more like highlight-lines-matching-regexp:
M-x highlight-lines-matching-regexp ABOVE_REGEXP RET RET

BTW:  Just typing M-x highlight-TAB would have given you a hint.

Cheers,
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)