Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 21:41:47 +0200

Am 12.07.2009 um 19:40 schrieb Francis Moreau:

And why is it so hard to understand that a pager feature would
be nice in this package ?

Because I never needed it, not even when working 20 years ago at an alpha-numeric hardware terminal. And I have no imagination to invent circumstances that I would need it.

If the text cursor is at the end of the *shell* buffer and is pushed away by fast effervescent output, faster than you can read, it's one command to return to the prompt. It's easier to send the command and make the cursor go up a line.

GNU Emacs is no terminal emulation. It does not need a pager. These programmes were developed for hardware terminals from 20 or more years ago. There is no sense in keeping them today, in a time of feature full terminal emulations. They can be abolished together with atom reactors and bombs. And your splendid idea.

--
Greetings

  Pete

We also sponsor National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week annually in September.
Join the millions