up/down arrow in buffer with wrapped lines stops on all the wraplines

From: David Karr
Subject: up/down arrow in buffer with wrapped lines stops on all the wraplines
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:40:25 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, I'm sure that subject line is confusing, but that's the best I
could do. :)

Emacs 23.0.92.1, Cygwin.

If I'm in a buffer with wrapped lines, and my cursor is at the
beginning of one line, and the line above is a wrapped line, I would
assume that "up arrow" would skip the wrapped part of the previous
line and go to the beginning of the real line. Instead, I find that
the cursor goes to the start of the "screen" line, not the start of
the real text line.

I can see some advantages with this current behavior, but I'd really
prefer "consistent" behavior, where "up arrow" goes to the next text
line, not the next screen line.

Is there a way to customize this behavior?