Re: Automatically turn off a default minor mode for a particular file?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Automatically turn off a default minor mode for a particular file?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 23:59:57 -0600

dnquark wrote:
Hi all,
Is there a way to automatically turn off a minor mode (that's enabled
by default) on a per file basis -- through file local variables
perhaps?..

I often work in Matlab and have mlint (automatic syntax checker)
enabled by default -- however, I need it off in certain files (it
screws up, make things unreadable, and sometimes doesn't play well
with the folding mode).  Now, I know you could *enable* a minor mode
through file-local-variables, but is there a way to disable/toggle
it?..

I'm not familiar with Matlab or its Emacs interface, but:

(1) Is mlint useful outside of the the major mode you use to edit Matlab
    files?

(2) Because if not, why enable mlint globally (by default, as you say)
    when you could just enable it on the appropriate major mode hook?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA