Re: Why emacsclient -e "(current-word nil t)" does not print ?

From: Wang Lei
Subject: Re: Why emacsclient -e "(current-word nil t)" does not print ?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:01:08 +0800

On 7/21/09, Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
> Wang Lei <wanglei.198112@gmail.com> writes:

>>> That's because -e prints the result only when it's not nil.
>>> Try:
>>>
>>>     emacsclient -e "(or (current-word nil t) :nil)"
>>>
>> Actually, what am i interested is the "current word", in this line,
>> it's should print 't'. In emacs it does print 't'. But with
>> emacsclient, nothing.
>>
>> Is this normal?
>
> Perhaps.   I cannot parse your sentence starting with "Actually".

I mean "in fact", sorry for my poor english. ;)

> Did you read what I wrote above?  I won't repeat it.

Yes, I read and tried. It return :nil.

> Otherwise, if you use emacsclient from within emacs (eg. from the M-x
> shell) you will obviously get different results.  Once you hit RET,
> emacs changes the position of the cursor, so the current word is not
> the same as when you hit RET, and current-word will return nil.

Yes. Maybe this is the reason, or maybe as Miles Bader said, it is in
the *server* buffer and it is empty.

Anyway, it proves what i have thought is wrong.

> And I don't see how current-word could return t.  At best, it could
> return "t", if you had the cursor on a single letter 't'.

I meaned, in emacs C-x C-e, it returns "t".

> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

Thanks for all your helps and patience!
--