Re: Emacs removes whitespaces at the end of lines

From: F. Unglaub
Subject: Re: Emacs removes whitespaces at the end of lines
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:47:11 +0200

On 2009-08-02, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:
> "F. Unglaub" <address@hidden> writes:
>> I use emacs with mutt and slrn (post-mode) and noticed that
>> whitespaces at the end of lines are auto-removed. This leads to
>> problems, for example, with the signature delimiter "-- \n". In my
>> case it's reduced to "--\n" which certain newsreaders like tin
>> consider wrong.

> Back to the problem: Normally, emacs should not do that, so I guess
> that's something you (or your sysadmin) configured.  Something like:
>   (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'delete-trailing-whitespace)
> So grep your ~/.emacs and the files in the site-lisp directory for
> `delete-trailing-whitespace'.

I can only find delete-trailing-whitespace in my rails-mode.el
file. And I'm certain that I'm not using rails-mode for posting emails
and news.

Could there be anything besides the mentioned hook that could cause
this problem?

Never lend your car to anyone to whom you have given birth.
                -- Erma Bombeck