Re: Flyspell error

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Flyspell error
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 00:03:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 4, 2:29 pm, sam jesse <rev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to put
> (when (string-equal system-type "windows-nt")
>   (progn
>      (setenv "PATH"
> C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
> Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;c:\Pro
> gram
> Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\100\DTS\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files\Aspell\bin\
> .
> .
> .
>
> do I need to replace \ with /?
> do I need to replace ; with :? and if so, what about the : after the C?
> this setenv, does it modify the PATH in my OS? if so, do I need to be logged
> in with admin account? and if I do modify it, does it effect my other
> programs in my windows XP?
> I read the setenv and getenv but could not figure out the above.
> why setenv PATH when there is setq exec-path?

I wrote a summary of my findings. Please see here:

• Difference between Emacs's “(setenv PATH ...)” and “(setq exec-
path ...)”
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_env_var_paths.html

most your q are answered there.

here's your other ones:

> do I need to replace \ with /?
> do I need to replace ; with :?
> and if so, what about the : after the C?

Since my shell in emacs invokes the unix shell by cygwin bash, thus i
need to use unix conventions. In your case, stick with the Windows
convention.

> this setenv, does it modify the PATH in my OS?

No. It only effect how emacs sees the system's env var within emacs's
shells.

> why setenv PATH when there is setq exec-path?

see the link above. I gave a fair bit of explanation on why there are
two.

Oh, you need to escape the back quote in your string, because
backslash in emacs is a escaping mechanism in string. So, do like
this:

 (setenv "PATH"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32;C:\\WINDOWS;C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Wbem"
)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/