Re: perl-mode vs cperl-mode

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: perl-mode vs cperl-mode
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:36:13 +0000 (UTC)

On 2009-08-07, Colin Williams <lackita@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to decide how to set up my perl development environment,
> and I've come to a bit of a conundrum.  I realize that there is both a
> `perl-mode' and a `cperl-mode' lying around in the emacs code base,
> but it's unclear to me which one is better.  Many people have said
> (rather authoritatively, I might add) that `cperl-mode' is much
> better, but none of these people bother to list the ways in which it's
> better.  I was hoping somebody could categorically list the features
> `cperl-mode' has that make it better than `perl-mode'.

I (obviously ;-) tried to investigate this topic, and now I'm pretty
sure that nobody would be able to answer your question.  This is the
standard gnoseological problem: it is many years now that I did not
see people with clue (e.g., about cperl-mode) who know how perl-mode works...

In CPerl menu Mini-docs, there is the description of one half of your
question.  The other half would probably remain a mystery forever...

Hope this helps,
Ilya