Re: emacs boot error from .emacs file

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: emacs boot error from .emacs file
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:44:01 -0700

On Aug 13, 2009, at 2:12 PM, notbob wrote:

I get this opening error from the messages buffer for 3-4 secs before
opening emacs proper:

An error has occurred while loading `/home/notbob/.emacs':

Symbol's value as variable is void: *

The offending line is no doubt this line of code in my .emacs file:

;;;  Dired Settings
    ;setting for recursive dir delete from dired

    (setq dired-recursive-deletes *)

I know there are several alternative options for the * setting, but I
want it to cover all files.  Which other option might work and not
trigger the error message prior to opening emacs proper?  Is there a
way to keep the * and not trigger the error?

I think you misunderstand how the variable works. * is not and will never be a valid value for that setting.

See: C-h v dired-recursive-deletes RET and/or M-x customize-variable RET dired-recursive-deletes RET

 - Ian