comment-padding type ?

From: Pierre Lorenzon
Subject: comment-padding type ?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:05:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hi All,

comment-padding documentation is as follows :

Padding string that `comment-region' puts between comment chars and text.
Can also be an integer which will be automatically turned into a string
of the corresponding number of spaces.

But in function comment-padright we find this piece of code :

    (let ((s (match-string 1 str))      ;actual string
          (lpad (substring str 0 (match-beginning 1))) ;left padding
          (rpad (concat (substring str (match-end 1)) ;original right padding
                        (substring comment-padding ;additional right padding
                                   (min (- (match-end 0) (match-end 1))
                                        (length comment-padding)))))

where comment-padding is actually supposed to be a sequence and
not an integer. Actually in one mode comment-padding was set to
1 and I got an error when trying to execute
comment-padright. When setting the value to " " everything goes
well !

In my opinion the comment-padding documentation is
abusive. Either it should be changed or a conversion mechanism
should be added.

Regards

Pierre