Re: Indenting Emacs Lisp only with tabs?

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Indenting Emacs Lisp only with tabs?
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 15:35:57 +0200

* Elena [2009-09-02 15:11+0200] writes:

> On 2 Set, 12:56, Peter Dyballa <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Am 02.09.2009 um 12:38 schrieb Elena:
>> > I'd like to use a proportional font, but that messes up indentation.
>> That's the trouble with proportional fonts...
> Well, that's a trouble with editors - like Emacs - where you can't
> move characters with pixel precision.

To me it seems more like a limitation of text files.

> However, if the indenting function does not try to overcome editor's
> limitations by adding spaces to line things up, tabs work quite well.

You can set tab-width to 1 and the indent function will only insert
tabs.  It's more common though, to not use tabs at all by disabling

However, the indent function doesn't control how existing files are
displayed and that's the trouble with proportional fonts: code that uses
tabs and spaces looks messed up.