Re: p tags and indenting in Html Mode

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: p tags and indenting in Html Mode
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 17:42:15 +0200

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Richard Riley<rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure of the context of your meaning there when you say company
> does not know how to get completion candidates.

Company mode has three components:

1) A framework for tying backends (who gives comletion candidates)
with frontends (who present the choices to the user).

2) A front end which presents the choices.

3) Some backends, for example the semantic backend.

CompletionUI is similar in structure.

> One thing thats excellent is the semantic backend : excellent completion
> in C for example including libraries. Things like company-dabbrev make
> suitable completion candidates for more general buffers.

Yes, but notice that it is semantic that gives the completion
candidates, not company-mode.

> company and semantic seem to be the way for completion in emacs from
> what I have seen and tried. The water is very muddy though with many
> competing methods such as anything, ido and others : I'm really not even
> sure where the overlaps in getting completion candidates occurs anymore.

I think both company-mode and completionUI are attempt to give more
structure to this, see 1 and 2 above. I hope a mix of them can make
its way into Emacs.