"Soft" indent with visual-line-mode?

From: Tim Stewart
Subject: "Soft" indent with visual-line-mode?
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:53:58 -0400

Hello Emacs Help,

I like the idea of using longlines-mode or visual-line-mode to spend less time formatting code as I write. However, it is not useful to me when the wrapped lines start in the first column and break up the flow of the code.

As an example, this is what I get now with a line that is indented 4 spaces. This is all one line, wrapped by the editor for me:

This is a test of the emergency broadcast system. This is only a test. In
the event of a real emergency, your head would have exploded.

And this is what I want:

This is a test of the emergency broadcast system. This is only a test. In
    the event of a real emergency, your head would have exploded.

I've heard this referred to as a "soft" indent. I believe that Visual SlickEdit 9 and Kate both support this feature if you'd like other examples.

Does anyone know of a feature or add-on for Emacs that can accomplish this? I've scoured the 'Tubes and can't find anything.

Thanks for the help,

--
-TimS

Tim Stewart