Re: occasional pause (or stutter) on win32 emacs 23.0.95

From: Vincent Goulet
Subject: Re: occasional pause (or stutter) on win32 emacs 23.0.95
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:57:00 -0700 (PDT)

On 9 sep, 15:56, Tyler Smith <tyler.sm...@eku.edu> wrote:
> Matthew Daniel wrote:
> > Periodically, emacs will pause - often with the Windows hourglass. It
> > does accept my keystrokes, because when it "releases" they appear in
> > the current buffer. These pauses last about 3 seconds, and I would not
> > characterize them as variable in length. I have not found any
> > systematic way of inducing the pause, but they happen pretty
> > frequently during a C-x C-s sequence.
>
> I had similar problems using the official Gnu Emacs release on Windows
> Vista, using an HP EliteBook. The program would freeze up periodically,
> not responding to anything for several seconds at a time. This happened
> often enough (once every few minutes or so) to make it unusable. Same
> thing with the version shipped with Cygwin.
>
> I switched to the version packaged by Vincent Goulet, and now everything
> works very smoothly. I'm not sure what he does, but it fixed my problem.
> The site is here:
>
> http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/

[Thanks to Elena for pointing me to this discussion.]

My distribution is built from the precompiled binaries distribution at
gnu.org. I do make one modification, though, that _was_ important back
in the 21.x days when I started building a distribution.

Does freezing happen when you switch from Emacs to another application
and then back? I found out (can't remember how) way back that this
happens when no HOME environment variable is defined. That's why it is
automatically created by my installation wizard when the variable does
not previously exist.

That may do the trick.

HTH

Vincent