Re: Turn off selection coloring

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Turn off selection coloring
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:53:01 -0500

> Hi Harry,
>
>>> [1] Some commands behave differently when the mark is active of
>>> deactivated.  This can be very handy, although this feature isn't
>>> used too much till now.

[...]

> But reading the docs, you can put

   (transient-mark-mode -1)

> into your .emacs to turn it off, and only when you want to use the
> special active region features, you turn it on for the following command
> with `C-SPC C-SPC'.  Then you have the coloring and special region
> handling only when you really want it.

Thanks again... I think I misunderstood your comment (footnote [1]).
The part that says "although this feature isn't used too much till
now"

I took to mean the behavior you were talking about was new since the
coloring of region became default.

So I thought you were suggesting some new kinds of behavior related to
region.

Sorry to have caused more work for you.

It appears that setting (transient-mark-mode -1) doesn't prevent
ispell-region from working.  Or other region based actions like
killing a region etc.

One thing I do miss with (transient-mark-mode -1) set is the coloring
when selecting a region with the mouse.

Was there a time when setting mark and scrolling did NOT colorize the
region but selection with mouse did?

Or more cogently... is there a way to do that now.  Stop region
colorizing when done from the keyboard but allow it when selected with
mouse?

I also seem to recall a time when the colorizing of a region could be
invoked with a double mark set before scrolling, but was not on by
default... Is that still a possibility