Re: Emacs Lisp Programming Questions

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp Programming Questions
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 02:14:04 +0200

"clint.laskowski" <clint.laskowski@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, gnu.emacs.help. I have a few questions about programming in
> Emacs Lisp. I hope you can help. Here they are:
>
> 1. Is this a good place to ask questions about programming in Emacs
> Lisp, especially with regards to text processing? If there's a better
> place, I'd appreciate knowing.

Here should be good.
For real time interaction, there's also irc://irc.freenode.org/#emacs

> 2. I want to write an interactive Elisp program to remove sequential
> duplicate lines from a buffer. This buffer is not sorted, and it
> should not be sorted. The program should simply look for two
> sequential lines that are identical, delete one, and then move on to
> the next line and do it over until it reaches the end of the buffer.
>
> BUT, I do not want the answer to this problem (i.e., I don't want an
> Elisp answer) ... I want hints on how to program it. I want to learn
> the answer myself, if possible.

Read first the emacs lisp introduction.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/emacs-lisp-intro.html
Then it's a simple matter of implementing directly the algorithm as
you said.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__