Re: Anyone gone from mutt to Emacs? was: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Anyone gone from mutt to Emacs? was: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: 12 Oct 2009 17:08:42 GMT

Teemu Likonen wrote:
> On 2009-10-12 15:22 (UTC), Joost Kremers wrote:
>
>> Gnus for news is fine, slrn works in much the same way, but I couldn't
>> get used to Gnus' handling of email. Gnus treats every mail folder in
>> the same way that it does a news group, and I simply couldn't get used
>> to that.
>
> Do you mean that by default it shows only new messages when you enter a
> mail group?

That was the major problem, yes. I recently took another look at Gnus and noted
that the manual said it is possible but cumbersome to make Gnus work like a more
"standard" mail client.

> If so I'd like to point out that you can configure Gnus to
> always show all messages if you want to.

But I'd like to keep that behaviour for news groups. (Even better would be if
that behaviour is configurable for each mail folder separately, so I could read
mailing lists as if they were news groups.)

> At least I feel that I can make
> Gnus look like a normal mail client.

Another thing I didn't like about Gnus' handling of mail was the fact that you
have to enter a mail folder explicitly. If mutt is started, it automatically
enters the default mail folder, which is where most of my mail comes in.

I have two IMAP accounts on different servers. In my current setup I have three
mutt instances running inside a screen session, so that I can switch very
quickly between the two IMAP servers (each opened in a separate mutt) and my
local mail boxes (opened in the third mutt). I haven't found a way to replicate
such a setup with Gnus.

I also seem to remember that Gnus doesn't check for new mail automatically and
checking for new mail manually would freeze Emacs until all groups and IMAP
folders were checked, with would often take quite a long time...

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)