Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 23:36:11 +0000 (UTC)

On 2009-10-16, LanX <rolf.langsdorf@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>> ???  Just use Emacs with a good code viewer (I use my imenu-go.el and
>> a handful of other tricks).  Do not see how breaking into parts would
>> simplify anything...
>
> Well it wasn't meant just for me but for all users. How many perl-
> developers know elisp?

How would breaking into parts fix this?

> And how many of them can handle 9000 lines of code?

???  Myself, I see no difference between working with 1000 LOC and
9000 LOC - as far as I can jump between functions without effort.

>> > together with a testsuite written in perl?
>>
>> Supporting a testsuite usually means 1.5x increase of time.  Assume an
>> estimate of extra 250hours. Who is going to invest in it?  Given that
>> "mine" cperl-mode.el is "already working", definitely not me...
>
> My idea is that the perl&&emacs-community  could/would supply
> testcases for every problem/bug they encounter.

I do not think this will change my estimate much...  (And I do not have
so much believe that communities work the way you think they do...)

>> > And sorry to say so - some aspects of cperl-mode are very outdated,
>> > e.g there is no up-to-date info-file for perldocs.
>>
>> ???  Make it.
>
> Actually I'm trying to, but I'm not really sure if it's worth it,
> since there are already good html-versions of perldoc, even solutions
> which are rendering just-in-time any module in INC.

> I didn't mean to demand of you making a new info-file but to suggest
> (for the sake of simplicity) to skip an outdated feature from the
> menu.

a) I do not find it outdated.  (IMO, HTML (and PDF) are not suitable
                                for documentation.)

b) How would removing it help somebody?

Yours,
Ilya