Mode specific menus have stopped dropping down

From: arcade
Subject: Mode specific menus have stopped dropping down
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:15:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hello

I have been running Emacs - 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.16.6) on my Debian - Testing (squeeze) box for I guess @ least a mouth (it
was a routine apt upgrade) with no problems. Until yesterday when
intermittently the mode specific drop down menus stopped appearing. For
example: if I load an html page the mode specific HTML & SGML menus appear.
But, if I click the SMGL menu title nothing appears except small thin
landscape rectangle below the title. The HTML menu will intermittently work
on some sessions. I can gain access to the menus via the C-mouse-down-3-
command but I would like access via the menu bar. This also happens
intermittently for the Lisp-interaction menu in the scratch buffer & for all
mode specific menus in nXhtml.

I have Googled the problem & search this forum but have not found anything
relevant. In the end I deleted all my non-debian emac add-ons, backedup &
deleted my .emacs file & purged my complete emac 23 installation. I then did
a 'vanilla' reinstall & still the problem was there.

Any useful pointer on how to fix this would be much appreciated by this
baffled emac user.

Thanks in advance.