Re: coding systems

From: Joseph Brenner
Subject: Re: coding systems
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 12:25:23 -0800

> Joseph Brenner:
>
>> However, it would seem to me that I should be able to just tell the
>> system to always use latin-1 (or utf-8) when in doubt, and that would
>> reduce the lossage to near zero.
>
>       (prefer-coding-system   'utf-8) ?

Thanks, I'm giving it a try.  Looks like it's more or less working.

By the way, on the subject of the virtue of code examples...  if
I'd just given that a try on my own, I might very well tried a
quoted string first:

  (prefer-coding-system "utf-8")

I would then have been very puzzled by this error message:

  error: Invalid coding system `utf-8'