Re: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 21:17:00 -0600

"KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)" <dk068x@att.com> writes:

>> You never said what OS this is taking place on, but I guess a windows
>> of some sort?  If so, the OS may have a different idea of $HOME than
>> does cygwin.
>>
>> Have you set the HOME variable on windows?  On Cygwin?
>>
>> I guess you could try a windows command shell and type `echo %home%'
>> and a cygwin bash shell and type `echo $HOME' to see if they match.
>>
>> (If you don't know how to set it on windows ask back to this thread.)
>
> Cygwin runs on something besides Windows?  I didn't bother to mention it
> because I thought it was obvious.

I just assumed it ran on macs too but now you mention it, I don't
think I've every noticed any mention of that.

> I'm putting the .ssh directory in my Cygwin $HOME.  The Windows %HOME%
> does not match this, but that shouldn't matter.

You're right with cygwin emacs, but someone mentioned you might want
to use Native emacs-23, in which case it is likely to be a problem. or
at least I recall having trouble with ssh for that reason.