Re: One more question about elisp

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: One more question about elisp
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:31:29 -0500

In article
<df099ab0-0fca-4a34-8b2d-f02fc068c6d1@v30g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
 LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 6 Nov., 22:05, Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It sounds strange to me (knowing C, python) to use hash tables to
> > structure data.
>
> You never used dicts in python for structured data???

That's also how it's done in Perl, where they're called hashes.  This is
a very convenient way to implement structured data that's easily
extended.  You don't have to predefine the object layout, you can add
new elements on the fly easily.

It probably wouldn't have been practical 20-30 years ago when Lisp
idioms were being created.  The overhead of hashing so frequently would
have been excessive on that generation of computers.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA