Re: Meaning of Common Lisp Warning

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Meaning of Common Lisp Warning
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:38:51 +0100

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM,  <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:49:35PM +0100, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> No it is because the authors of emacs are stubborn.  They don't want
>> people to write emacs code with these common lisp like functions.

There has been subtle technical problems using the cl package because
of name clashes with Emacs functions/macros. I do not know if anyone
is sure they are resolved yet. (I have seen subtle problems.)

>> Just ignore this warning.
>
> Agreed: if you aren't aiming at developing a core Emacs package you can
> safely ignore that.

You can perhaps, but not people using your packages. Wouldn't it be
better to just follow the advice, use

   (eval-when-compile (require 'cl))

What is the problem with doing that?