Re: disabling doc-view mode

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: disabling doc-view mode
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 09:18:48 +1100

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:
>
>> Does anyone know how to disable/stop doc-view mode from attempting to
>> convert files when you are in dired and you hit view-file on a ps, pdf,
>> file?
>
> I'm a bit curious.  Which mode would you expect when trying to view an
> ps/pdf/dvi file in emacs?

I have my own conversion mode which I've been running for the past 9
years. The image rendering of files is of no use to me - I need the
files converted into plain text. Unfortunately, the two are treading on
each others toes. I know that I would probably be able to do something
with doc-view mode to give me what I want, but the mode I've written
also handles doc, docx, xls and ppt, plus integrates with browse-url so
that if I try to view-file on any of these types, it gives me a text
rendering that I can use.  It is also a lot faster than doc-view.

I need it in text because I use emacspeak and it won't work with images.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au