Re: Tracking Emacs Development

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tracking Emacs Development
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 10:55:40 -0500

monnier> The original reason for the change was that nobody wanted to
monnier> maintain the "Carbon" port (i.e. the OSX code used in
monnier> Emacs-22).  Now that we switched, we have no intention to go
monnier> back, so please help us improve the NS code in Emacs-23 by
monnier> reporting (via M-x report-emacs-bug) the problems
monnier> you encounter.
srevilak> Thanks for the nudge.  I have reported more bugs :)

Thanks.

> To me, Emacs is a very important piece of software, and I would like
> to do what I can to help it improve.
> What is the best way to follow Emacs development?  Just check out the
> trunk [1] and rebuild on a regular basis?

Yes, that is ideal.  If you do that, you'll probably want to keep an eye
on emacs-devel@gnu.org (it's a fairly high-traffic list, tho), for known
breakage and things like that.

> Are there incremental branches done between release versions?

No.  We do have pretests, tho (the one for 23.2 will start
real-soon-now), so you could help a lot by trying out the pretests and
hammering on them to try and fix more bugs before the release.

        Stefan