Re: copy paste problem (jumbled & limited length) in emacs-nox only

From: James Mills
Subject: Re: copy paste problem (jumbled & limited length) in emacs-nox only
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:36:15 -0600

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM, James Mills <jameswmills@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would just like to add my voice here.  I am a relative Emacs newbie, and
> do most of my work from the terminal.  I am experiencing the exact same
> problems.  I am running Ubuntu 8.04, and using Emacs 22.1.1 and 23.0.60.1.
> The GTK versions work fine, but "emacs -nw" results in the problem as
> described above.  I have tried gnome-terminal as well as konsole.  Vim and
> pico both work as expected.
>
> Thanks,
> James

After a bit more search and research, I am able to clarify my problem
a bit more.  I was able to configure the local emacs sessions to
consult the clipboard with the:

(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

setting.

This is great, as now my local sessions can use the clipboard with
normal yank operations.  However, this is a local-only fix, and does
not really address the root of the problem I am experiencing.  The
problem is that, for whatever reason, emacs is not accepting input
correctly via the terminal's paste function.  As stated before, vim,
pico, nano, and joe all accept the terminal paste input as expected
(both local and remote instances).

I would be perfectly happy with the enable-clipboard settings above,
if a good deal of my work was not via ssh on a remote machine.  Of
course, no amount of enabling the clipboard will help me there :)

Thanks in advance.  I hope someone can help me out with this.

James Mills