Re: Getting rid of "Open File" item

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Getting rid of "Open File" item
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:20:30 -0500

In article <mailman.12954.1260822153.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Mark Tilford <ralphmerridew@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
> bars) of 2008-09-05 on vernadsky, modified by Ubuntu.
>
> I'm used to "Open File" meaning "Open an existing file, if there is
> one; otherwise, create a new file and open it."

How did you get used to that?  Emacs's Open File menu works like every
other GUI application I've ever used, popping up a file browser that
only allows you to select from existing files.

> The "Open file" item
> in this version of emacs will only open existing files.  Is there a
> way to remove "Open file" from the menu bar (and optionally relabel
> "Visit new file" to "Open file")?

(define-key menu-bar-file-menu [open-file]
            '(menu-item "Open File..." find-file
              ([24 6] . " (C-x C-f)")
              :enable (menu-bar-non-minibuffer-window-p)
              :help "Open a new or existing file, specified by name"))
(define-key menu-bar-file-menu [new-file] nil)

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA