Re: How to set line wrap

From: RAYHAN MUKTADER
Subject: Re: How to set line wrap
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:21:20 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 22, 7:48 am, Anselm Helbig <anselm.helbig
+news2...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> At Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:56:06 -0800 (PST),
>

> RAYHAN MUKTADER <rmukta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > Could some tell me how I can set the line wrap to 80 characters?
>
> > The following is what my ~/.emacs file currently looks like:
>
> > (set-fill-column 5)
> > ;; Turn on tabs
> > (setq indent-tabs-mode t)
> > (setq-default indent-tabs-mode t)
>
> > ;; Bind the TAB key
> > (global-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'self-insert-command)
>
> > ;; Set the tab width
> > (setq default-tab-width 4)
> > (setq tab-width 4)
> > (setq c-basic-indent 4)
> > (load-library "php-mode")
> > (global-font-lock-mode t)
>
> > As you can see I have set fill column to 5 just to test it.
> > However,  My my cursor does not move to the next line after I go pass
> > five characters and I don't see any change in highlighting either.
>
> > I have also tried C-u 5 C-x f  but I did not see any difference.
>
> Two things. See the docs for fill-column:
>
>   fill-column is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>   Its value is 70
>
>     Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
>     This variable is safe as a file local variable if its value
>     satisfies the predicate `integerp'.
>
> So, when you set the fill column from your .emacs, this setting will
> not apply to other buffers. To set a global default value use
> setq-default:
>
>   (setq-default fill-column 5)
>
> Furthermore you have to make sure that auto-fill-mode is turned on,
> otherwise your setting will have no effect. You usually only turn it on for
> certain major modes, e.g. to turn it on for latex-mode you'd add this
> to your .emacs:
>
>   (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>
> You can of course also change the setting for fill-column in a
> buffer-specific hook, using setq would make sense there.
>
> HTH,
>
> Anselm
>
> --
> Anselm Helbig -http://mnemonikk.org

Thank you for your reply.
I have already tried C-u 5 C-x f.  It did not do anything.
Are you recommending that I put the following in my ~/.emacs?

(setq-default fill-column 5)
(add-hook 'php-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

I've never tried to personalize Emacs before.  So, please correct me
if I am making a mistake.