Re: Running emacs deamon outside login

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Running emacs deamon outside login
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 21:37:39 +0100

Richard Lewis <richardlewis@fastmail.co.uk> writes:

> On Linux, I've been wondering whether there's a good way to run emacs
> deamon outside of my login process, so that I can log out and in again
> and connect to the same emacs deamon process.
>
> One sort of solution is running it using start-stop-deamon on Debian,
> essentially as described on emacswiki:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsAsDaemon#toc3

You dont need to do any of that. Start the daemon and thats it. It will
continue to be there and you could ssh in and connect for example.

While on the soapbox about how great the daemon is, I use this script
saved as "edit" and set my EDITOR to "edit":

,----
| #!/bin/bash
| # edit
| export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
| exec emacsclient --alternate-editor="" -c "$@"
`----

The export is for a menu bug linked with GTK I think.

This call to emacsclient tells it to start the daemon if not already
done so - more distinguishing between if server is there or not.