Re: no completion using anything-find-file

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: no completion using anything-find-file
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:22:38 +0100

Glauber Alex Dias Prado <smade4@gmail.com> writes:

> Daniel Goldin <danielgoldin@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Started to use anything-find-files per recommendation on this list but
>> am frustrated that I can't do file or dir completion. Is there a way
>> to turn this on? Thanks.
> By completion do you mean in-buffer completion for files?(if so then
> anything-find-file will not work as it is an alternative to
> find-file). Otherwise you can search for pattern on minibuffer, by
> default anything-find-file will be on your home dir ~/ lets suppose you
> want to open a document on ~/Desktop you can type for instance skt on
> minibuffer and ~/Desktop will appear as a candidate, if you hit TAB you
> will be inside your ~/Desktop directory now. lets suppose your document
> is called document.txt, you start typing txt on minibuffer, document.txt
> will appear as one candidate and as soon as you put the anything bar
> over it and hit enter you will open it, i think this explains how it
> should work.

Of which function are you speaking?
anything-find-file ==> come with anything-complete.el
anything-find-files ==> come with anything-config.el

Yes i know it's confusing, i plan to rename anything-find-files.

anything-find-files is not by default on ~/ but on default-directory or
thing-at-point as it use ffap.If you are on a url, a mail adress
etc.. it will do the right thing.

So anything-find-files work like find-file (C-x C-f), but if you use it
with anything-match-plugin.el, you have to add a space and then the next
part of pattern you want to match:

,----
| Example:
|
| Find Files or url: ~/
| That show all ~/ directory.
|
| Find Files or url: ~/des
| will show all what begin with "des"
|
| Find Files or url: ~/ esk
| (Notice the space after ~/) will show all what contain esk.
|
| Find Files or url: ~/ el$
| Will show all what finish with el
`----

You can move in the anything buffer with C-n C-p or arrow keys, when you
are on a file, you can hit C-z to show only this file-name in the
anything buffer.
On a directory, C-z will switch to this directory to continue searching
in it.
On a symlink C-z will expand to the true name of symlink.(moving your
mouse cursor over a symlink will show the true name of it).

So it is quite easy to navigate in your files with anything-find-files.

If you like it you can safely bind it to C-x C-f to replace the standard
find-file:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-f") 'anything-find-files)

If you want to have similar completion in dired for
copying/renaming/symlinking/hardlinking, use

M-x anything-dired-binding

That will replace C, R, S, H in Dired by the equivalent with anything
completion.

You will have two action for S: symlink and relsymlink (use tab to
select actions).

Also:
You can enter tramp filename with anything-find-files,
it will and complete alone.(/su::, /sudo::, /ssh::)

Hope that's clear enough.

--
Thierry Volpiatto