dired hook not working?

From: rustom
Subject: dired hook not working?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 23:04:45 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to use the dired-sort options from dired-sort-menu+

If I put the below lines in my startup the hotkey S-mouse2
does not work (and the second print never shows up in messages though
the first does)
-----------
(print "Entering dired setup")
(defun my-dired-settings ()
  (print "Entering my-dired-settings")
  (require 'dired-sort-menu+))

(add-hook 'dired-load-hook 'my-dired-settings)

However if I manually do eval-expression: (require 'dired-sort-menu+)
it works.
So either the hook is not working or I am not using it right.
Note I tried this with emacs 22 and 23
I also tried this with an inline lambda as well as my-dired-settings
-- none work