change in Emacs highlighting behavior

From: mafaeq
Subject: change in Emacs highlighting behavior
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:44:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 and since the upgrade, emacs
has been
behaving differently. Specifically, when I left-click on the scroll
scrollbar, it sets a mark
whenever the cursor moves, causing the region betw where the cursor was and
where it
is to become highlighted. This also happens if I left-click and drag along
the scrollbar.

It didn't behave like this before and I find it very annoying!
I've tried turning transient-mark mode on/off but that doesn't make a
difference.

This is the version of emacs that I am using:

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.0)
of 2009-09-27 on palmer, modified by Debian

I've tried removing and re-installing emacs and I've deleted my .emacs file
and .emacs.d directory,
just to make sure there was nothing there causing this.

Oh also, when I start emacs I get the following message in the terminal

(emacs:3741): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

I don't know if that is related, but it's also new since the upgrade to 9.10

Any help would be greatly appreciated!