Re: spell-checker compatible with LaTeX?

From: Porky Pig
Subject: Re: spell-checker compatible with LaTeX?
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:38:39 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 13, 12:49 pm, "Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-
thank-...@csmiller.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Porky Pig wrote:

> >> Ispell. Hunspell. Aspell.
>
> >> --
> >> Greetings
>
> >>    Pete
>
> >> Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
>
> > Thanks, and another question. I've just looked at "flyspell". Is that
> > another package, or it uses existing ones (e.g., Ispell)?
>
> Porky,
>
> fly-spell is a wrapper around ispell-mode for checking
> the spelling of each word as the cursor moves off it.
> ispell-mode can use any spell check program that is
> compatible with ispell; Aspell and hunspell are commonly used.
> This is done by setting ispell-prog-name.
>
> Flyspell also has flyspell-prog-mode. This uses information
> from the major-mode to indicate where the strings and
> comments are, and only flyspells them. If ispell-comments-and-strings
> works in LaTeX mode, then flyspell-prog-mode should work.
> (I've never used LaTeX, so can't say for sure).
>
> HTH,
> Colin S. Miller
>
> --
> Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
> hostname to reply.

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at it. Seems like the best way for
flyspell to work with LaTeX is to rely on AUCTEX/EMACS to do the
lexical analysis to determine whether it's dealing with a text or
comments or math expression (AUCTEX does it remarkably well).