Re: real tab completion in shell-mode

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: real tab completion in shell-mode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:43:58 +0100

Nathaniel Flath <flat0103@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> Is there any way to get shell mode to use the background shell's
> (zsh or bash) tab completion as opposed to just tab-completing
> filenames?  I know about ansi-term, but I hate how it steals a lot
> of my keybindings and so I would prefer it if I could get this to
> work in shell-mode.

There is not really a clean way to implement this for different reasons.

> Thanks,
> Nathaniel Flath

A while ago, I did it anyway and wrote a special mode for bash-shells
which features

+ emulation of bash completion
+ dir-tracking (local and remote)
+ tracking of history files
+ displaying dir stack in header line

I took the opportunity to comment the code somewhat, you may give it
a try, if you dare:

http://www.fh-trier.de/~politza/emacs/bash-mode-1_0.tgz

Extract it somewhere in your load-path and read the commentary, or just
M-x bash RET
.

-ap