Re: How to debug problem with emacsclient and init file

From: Jim Burton
Subject: Re: How to debug problem with emacsclient and init file
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:17:04 +0100

At Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:58:43 -0500,
Harry Putnam wrote:
> Jim Burton <address@hidden> writes:
> > So I tried starting the emacs daemon without my init file and
> > everything is fine -- I can open graphical emacsclients. This seems
> > weird because I can open a new (X or terminal) emacs without getting
> > any complaints about the init file. I thought about adding my init
> > stuff back in gradually but there's rather a lot of it, and I wondered
> > if there is a better way to debug this problem?
> I'm not sure this even works when going thru emacsclient but does
> turning on  debug-on-error show you any more userfull info:
> Put:
>  (setq eval-expression-debug-on-error t)

Hi Harry. This has no effect -- the daemon starts without any errors
and the graphical client won't start. Commenting stuff out of .emacs
I've found I can start the graphical client without a color theme, or
if I do this:

(defmacro Xlaunch (&rest x)
  (list 'if (eq window-system 'x) (cons 'progn x)))
(require 'color-theme)
(if (Xlaunch)

Which works but I get no color theme -- of course when the daemon
starts Xlaunch is false. Is there some way to say "do this if the
current client uses X"?
> Into ~/.emacs to find out.
J Burton