Re: Thunderbird to Emacs migration

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Thunderbird to Emacs migration
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:24 -0000

Vagn Johansen <gonz808@hotmail.com> writes:

> David Rogoff <david@therogoffs.com> writes:
>
>> vm is much easier to use for mail than gnus.  gnus is great as a
>> (text) Usenet newsreader, but it just wasn't designed as a mail
>> program and the attempts to make it so have all seemed pretty crazy to
>> me.  I gave it a try for a while but it just required the user to do
>> things the way gnus wanted and not what made sense as a mail program.
>
> Could you give some examples of how gnus is unlike a "normal" mail
> program?
>
> As a gnus user I am genuinely curious. I wonder what I have forgotten
> about "real" mail programs :-)

For me, the most disturbing difference is how gnus hides read messages.
When I read mail, I want to keep seeing the read messages.  I keep in my
mailboxes (including my INBOX) a lot of messages received (sometimes
several years ago), that I still need to act on, and to be able to see.

Kind of a constantly nabbing todo list...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__