Re: setting mail-self-blind to t has no effect

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: setting mail-self-blind to t has no effect
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:15 -0000

Hello

On Mar 23, 6:45 pm, Jeff Clough <j...@chaosphere.com> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I would like to add a "Bcc:" field in my emails that I compose from
> > emacs (by calling compose-mail).
>
> Compose mail also relies on whatever is assigned to mail-user-agent.  Do
> this...
>
> (setq mail-user-agent 'sendmail-user-agent)
>
> And see if that works.  It works for me, but if I have gnus-user-agent
> in there, it doesn't.

you're right, I have 'gnus-user-agent' and changing to 'sendmail-user-
agent' make it works.

> > 'mail-self-blind' seems to do the job but setting this variable to
> > true doesn't work, no Bcc header is added, whereas doing:
>
> This should do the job, in theory, but it looks like it's up to the
> actual user agent to pay attention to it.
>
> > Could anybody know why the first solution doesn't work.
>
> My guess is that you're running Gnus (or at least, some other package
> that doesn't pay attention to mail-self-blind).  Gnus has it's own way
> of doing this, which you can find discussed here:
>
> http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/emacs-20.7/html_chapter/...
>
> Alternatively, you could just use the sendmail-user-agent and have this
> stuff sent back to you.  I chose this as the path of least resistance.
> At least for now.

I use gnus-user-agent, in order to retrieve some gnus bindings when
composing  mails. I don't know about the Mail package which is
selected by sendmail-user-agent but I have to admit that I feel too
lazy to learn one more package just to be able to use mail-self-blind.

Thanks