Re: emacs and awesome

From: despen
Subject: Re: emacs and awesome
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:51 -0000

henry atting <nsmp_01@online.de> writes:

>  Some time ago I used awesome as my window manager but then switched to
>  xmonad for I wanted not to deal with lua. Now I gave awesome another
>  try and as everything works fine `out of the box` I maybe replace
>  xmonad with awesome again.
>
>  I know some people in this group use awesome as well so I put my
>  question here (I found the awesome community too elite for someone
>  like me, unwilling to learn lua)
>
>  Okay, when I set emacs to fullscreen, at the bottom of the screen
>  always remains a small gap. No other programm shows this behaviour,
>  so maybe it's an emacs problem.
>
>  There is an option, `c.honorsizehints = true', but this does not
>  change anything. AFAIK it only handles the gap *between* windows.
>
>  I'm thankful for any hint.

Hint is the right word.
Use the xprop command to take a look at the size hints on an Emacs
window, here are mine:

WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified minimum size: 40 by 40
                program specified resize increment: 10 by 20
                program specified base size: 20 by 0
                window gravity: NorthWest

So, Emacs is telling the window manager that when Emacs is resized,
it wants to be resized in multiples of 10x20 pixels.

Hence the gap you see.

If the WM supports what you want, it would be more like
honorsizehints=false.