"stuck" meta key problem / NX-client / Mac / PC / Linux

From: David Rogoff
Subject: "stuck" meta key problem / NX-client / Mac / PC / Linux
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:54 -0000

Hi all.

I've got a strange one thats messing me up and I'm not sure where to look.

Here's my situation:

Running GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)

of 2010-02-19  on Linux (Red-Hat Enterprise).

I'm accessing the Linux desktop using NX-Client (http://www.nomachine.com/products.php) from both a WinXP-SP3 PC at work and an OS/X 10.6.2/3 ac Mini at home.

When I start a session/virtual desktop from home everything is fine. However, when I disconnect and then reconnect to the session from work, all my emacs windows think the meta key is being held down. For example, when I hit the up arrow, I get the message "M-up is undefined". It makes emacs unusable, requiring me to kill the editor and start again, which sucks because I usually have a dozen buffers going.

When I ran a PC at home, this didn't happen. It's something to do with the meta mapping. On the Mac, something (NX-Client?) is mapping the Windows key (= Apple command key) as meta, instead of Alt (= Apple Option key). I think it's getting confused when I suspend the session on the Mac and pick it up on the PC that it think the meta is on. This doesn't affect other Linux windows or if I start a new emacs.

Any ideas?  Is there some way to un-stick meta?

Thanks much!

David