Re: Can I preload my ~/.emacs source for editing only?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Can I preload my ~/.emacs source for editing only?
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 19:08:37 +0200

jpkotta <jpkotta@gmail.com> writes:

> On May 4, 5:07 am, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>> Bill <bsag...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > When emacs is running I can C-x C-f to load my ~/.emacs source into a
>> > buffer for editing. That is easy enough, but I would like to know how
>> > to do it programmaticaly so it preloads on startup. Using (load "path-
>> > to-dot-emacs") makes emacs protest about redundant evaluation. This
>> > newbie just wants to edit, not evaluate.
>>
>> When you want to know what commande hides behind a keychoard, you can
>> use C-h k
>>
>> Type C-h k C-x C-f
>>
>> and see what command is used to find a file and edit it.
>>
>> You can then insert a form using this command in your ~/.emacs, such
>> as:
>>
>>   (find-file "~/.emacs")
>>
>> The opposite of C-h k is C-h w which tells you where (to which
>> keychoards) a command is bound.  For example, C-h w find-file RET
>> displays in the minibuffer:
>> find-file is on <open>, C-x C-f, <menu-bar> <file> <new-file>
>>
> The variable `user-init-file' always points to the user's init file,
> whatever it might be named.  For example, I use ~/.emacs.d/init.el
> instead of ~/.emacs.

What's the point,  if ~/.emacs.d still starts with a dot?
And if "~/.emacs" is mapped to the right file on all platforms by emacs?

(Otherwise, thanks for the hint, it would be good to use it in emacs
lisp libraries if need to access the init file occurs).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com