Re: Emacs ignores modified state of "untitled" buffer

From: Stefan Vollmar
Subject: Re: Emacs ignores modified state of "untitled" buffer
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 23:21:01 +0200

Dear Drew,

On 28.05.2010, at 19:18, Drew Adams wrote:

[...]
> I would propose (and have proposed ;-)) simply `New File' as the menu item.
> It
> is common nowadays to have a menu item `New' for creation when the object to
> be
> created is clear, and `New Foo' to make clear that it creates a foo object.
> (I
> use `New File' and `New Directory' in my own code, `menu-bar+.el'.)
>
> Whether we use `Visit' or `Open' for an existing whatever is not so important.
> What is important is to clearly distinguish the case of creation (`New').

in my reply to Kevin of May 26 the modified left-mode button in the toolbar was
labelled "New Document (Org)" (we used the same label in the corresponding
first entry of the "File" menu). I absolutely agree that the "New" part is
essential.

Kevin's code conforms (probably not a coincidence) to the Apple Human Interface
Guidelines:
http://www.devworld.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGMenus/XHIGMenus.html

I have had Windows users look at the Emacs version with the File New option and
they said it was a significant improvement, immediately adding that, by the
way, they had never heard of "visiting" a file (not surprising).

I believe that Xah Lee had these kind of changes in mind here:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html

I do not agree with everything but he has a few points, I think.

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.