Re: More emacs instances

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: Re: More emacs instances
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:52:24 +0200

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I was thinking that for example I could load a different instance of
> Emacs for gnus (and maybe other chatting programs).
>
> Often they're slow (gnus) and I want to keep them open all the time, so
> my life could be also easier if they're separated.
[...]

Hi,

I know that alot of people actually use this solution (different
instances of emacs).

I however really prefer to work in just one instance (with different
frames from time to time) and rather "fix" the parts that make emacs
feel unresponsive.

Here are some of the solutions I came up with:

  Mail:    msmtp+fetchmail
  News:    leafnode [you know gmane, right?!]
  IRC etc: bitlbee

I have a decent, but really not 'state of the art' machine (Pentium III,
1.2 Mhz,512 Mb Ram), but with these external helpers, emacs performs
flawlessly.

Memnon